Tuesday, April 8, 2008

PORCH SNAKE!

Found on porch (click to enlarge)

I was taking Alan to work this morning and we almost stepped on a snake! It was slithering across our front porch. Short on time, I grabbed my camera to identify him later.

He's a non-venomous Texas Rat Snake. Before I figured it out, I nearly identified him as a Western Diamondback Rattler! Which you can easily see how they can be mistook for one another so early in the morning!





Western Diamondback Rattle snake










Texas Rat Snake

Regardless, no more stepping on my porch without the lights on! Good grief!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't stand snakes no matter what kind they are and we have our share of them in the backyard. Most of them are black and you can't tell if their cotton mouths until they open their mouth to bite and I'm not sticking around to see that happen :)