Monday, October 21, 2019

GRANDMA'S FRIED CORN TORTILLAS - Mom's Pioneer Living Handbook



GRANDMA'S FRIED CORN TORTILLAS


Soooo easy to make corn tortillas! One of my favorite food storage recipes for off grid cooking.




Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of cold water
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of cornmeal
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg (or use flax seed substitute)  


Heat 8" skillet over medium heat till hot. Beat all ingredients till smooth. 



Pour a quarter of a cup into the skillet (I lightly greased my iron skillet with cooking oil) 



Immediately rotate skillet till batter is thin.
 (This would probably work best with a teflon skillet but with my heavy cast iron, I used a spatula to spread the batter.) 


Flip and cook the other side till done. That's it! 


This is just like cooking pancakes. Best of all, these tortillas are flexible without tearing. 


I can think of so many meal ideas for these corn tortillas.

Fajita's
breakfast tacos
bean burritos
pizza crust
enchiladas 

I'll be posting more on this recipe! 

No comments: