Tuesday, August 12, 2014

PROJECT RECYCLE - USED MEN'S SHIRT


I confess to being a fabric hoarder. All these temptations to spend money.

Hobby Lobby and their 40% off coupons. Jo-Ann Fabric craft stores offering tempting sales.

Wal-Mart, and their fabric clearance.

Heck, I even bought some new fabric the other day at a thrift store.

But what if I stopped BUYING, and started RECYCLING?

Years ago, our ancestors made do with what they had.

It was not uncommon for a woman to only own one or two dresses. Children wore hand me downs that were altered to fit. Some didn't own shoes.

Little girls were taught to sew when they were old enough to hold a needle.

Not everyone could afford a fancy treadle foot sewing machine.

Many items were hand sewn...

SO, I've decided to stop being lazy and to challenge myself. I want to think more out of the box, and to use the resources I already have.

MY GOAL:

To see how many items I can create out of a man's medium sized shirt -- Hand sewn, and not a single scrap of fabric leftover.

MY SUPPLIES: 1 spool of thread.

MY TOOLS: Pin, needle, scissors.

                                        Can it be done?

I'll be posting my progress as each item is made. Come join me! You can check back here, or follow my progress on Facebook.



No comments: