Sunday, November 11, 2018

CAMPING AND SEWING WITHOUT ELECTRICITY - Off the Grid

Now, WHO is wanting to camp and sew??

A special THANK YOU to my sister who sewed this adorable pillow for me! 


This pillow sums it up for me as a seamstress, as I am wanting to take my sewing business on the road. That means work camping, off-gridding, boondocking, sewing out in the boonies, you-name-it! 


This hand-crank beauty I had purchased a few months back can handle no electricity. She's over 100 years old and very low maintenance! Just give her a little oil here and there, turn her wheel, and she will hum and tap dance all day long. 


But there are times when I love using my electric machines... 

When I had first purchased my Aeiusny Portable Generator, it didn't dawn on me I could plug into a sewing machine... 

  So this week, I'm sharing my experience sewing without electricity, using a small portable generator. 

I'm hooked up to a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 with 600 computerized stitches at 55 watts --- a pretty decent sized machine. 


I plugged my Singer into the portable generator at 100% charge and kept a diary of every. single. second. 

For the first 3 days, I sewed off and on with several miscellaneous items, documenting on the sheet the exact duration and remaining % of charge. I ran the machine a combined total of 4 hours... 


At 85% charge, I realized I had a deadline looming on getting something HUGE sewn for a festival. 

I figured a picture is worth a thousand words. 


With 28.5% charge remaining, I had sewn a full sized historical gown without electricity.  


I now have confidence that I can tackle any sewing project with a portable generator! 

Live Simply and Enjoy the Ride 









No comments: