Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Urban Homestead



This is where it's all happening. Currently we have 9 chickens, a garden, 1 cat, and 3 dogs. By next week, we're hoping to have the swimming pool removed. This will free up additional yard space for another garden.

We are also looking to purchase some land! I'd like at least 5 acres, and something near a river. We've been searching for property less than an hour drive from our home. Our goal is to sell our house, purchase a wooded lot, and build a cabin for our retirement --Ideally, with the ability to live off the grid.

What does that mean? I envision electricity from solar panels, a woodburning stove or fireplace, water from a well, huge garden, chickens, goats, a fish pond, with the ability to live on a modest income. Of course, we'll still have our modern conveniences like plumbing, computers, cellphones...

In the meantime, I'm learning about this lifestyle as much as I can.

Let's see what I can do with less than 1/4 of an acre in town.

Now I'm on Facebook!

2 comments:

Mel said...

We have 7 chickens, a cat, a dog, and two fish, and no pool...but otherwise we are on the same trajectory. Right now we are saving up to buy some land where we can put an off-the-grid yurt, eventually building a straw bale house or some other eco-groovy habitat.

Can't wait to read about your journey.

Helen Ruth said...

Hi Mel, I have read a little bit about Yurts and posted a link (on my facebook page) to a free ebook I got from Amazon. One of the things I was looking into were those cabins that you can have premade and delivered and set on a foundation. Sounds like everyone has the same ideas! :)