Friday, June 24, 2016

JALAPENO SALT AND PEPPER - How to dehydrate your own


Dehydrated Jalapenos are the best! We use this spice in practically every dish, not to mention, growing Jalapenos and preserving them through dehydration is a great way to ensure we'll be enjoying these dried peppers all year long!

My mother at her BLOG was the first to introduce the JALAPENO SALT and PEPPER combination, by adding dehydrated Jalapenos (grounded) with salt in a shaker, and also making the ground pepper batch with Jalapenos. The pepper shaker is perfect for those dishes where you want to add flavor, but not extra salt.




For dehydration and speed, slice the Jalapeno's long ways, and dehydrate.


Dried Jalapenos


I prefer using the Magic Bullet for grinding my spices - pictured, I was making my own sweetener from STEVIA


For the Dehydrated Jalapeno Salt and Pepper, just dehydrate peppers, grind with salt, and store your seasonings in a shaker, or jar. Repeat process with black pepper and Jalapenos. That's it. Simple, easy, and your meals will be enhanced!


We've used our Jalapeno Salt and Pepper on practically every dish, but my favorite is baked chicken!



4 comments:

Papa Joe said...

Out of curiosity what is the ratio of salt to pepper? Looking for a good starting point?

Helen Ruth said...

Hi Joe, the ratio for salt and Jalapeno is based on your preference. I would treat it like any salt shaker but with enough hot pepper to suit how much "flavor" you want your salted food to have. The pepper shaker is just pepper/Jalapeno. Same ratio based on your preference. For myself, I would do 50/50 on each. But I also keep whole dried Jalapeno's or Serrano hot peppers stored, and grind each fresh with other herbs for my spices. For example, 1 Jalapeno pepper, dried garlic, salt, pepper, dried green onions, dried bell peppers - combine and grind into a "salt" and sprinkle over dish.

Bella Rose said...

This may be the best thing I have seen on the interwebs in a long time!

Nancy said...

Can't wait to try your recipe. Sounds tasty!