Saturday, April 14, 2012

Wild Edibles II

Continuing to the second part of Wild Edibles, the next plant we had studied is the WOOD SORREL. This plant is high in vitamin C and A, and is great for spicing salads.
Wood Sorrel
Many of these plants have medicinal properties (too many to mention) but I will mention some highlights that we had covered during our class. Also, for additional references, I've located a Texas website where many of these edible "weeds" are listed. www.foragingtexas.com
Clover
The Clover is high in protein and can be used for salads, cooking, and tea.

Cleaver
It was a great feeling to learn the identity of the  Cleaver. This is the sticky "weed" that I had mentioned in an earlier post on what I had been feeding my chickens! Cleaver has been growing like a jungle around the yard. Since my chickens are confined to a coop, it is my responsibility to bring them fresh greens each day. My hens look forward to me picking them Cleaver each morning and have been happily providing fresh eggs in return.

Ragweed

Oh yes, the dreaded RAGWEED. This is what causes many here locally to suffer allergies. On the bright side, the seeds of Ragweed are incredibly 47% in crude protein. There are many benefits to Ragweed, and many claim that eating Ragweed actually helps lessen their allergies.

Epazote
EPAZOTE is grown on a large scale for medicinal purposes, and is widely used to treat parasites. Epazote is also known as the bean herb, as it reduces gas. Just add a spruce or two to a pot of beans for flavor and for anti-flatulence.

Before I finish Part II of Wild Edibles (Part III coming up), I wanted to mention that we had learned in class that ALL grasses are edible to eat. With over 400 varieties to choose from, it is hard to believe we can ever go hungry.

No comments: