Monday, January 5, 2009

Today's treasures...

I browsed in a Goodwill store today while Pamela took her piano lessons. My treasures found today; Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening, and this cute planter. I'll plant some Basil in this one and set it on my kitchen window.

Today, I was informed by a friend in email that the seed company I had purchased from, Seedsofchange.com, is actually owned by M&M Mars.

This was the first I had heard of this, so I checked around and discovered they're still a reputable ORGANIC seed company. I'm not exactly happy that they're BIG CORPORATION, but the reviews were good about their products. I even read they give out free seeds with their orders (I'll keep you posted on that.) I also placed an order for their free catalog.

Before I ordered from Seeds of Change, I DID try to locate my seeds through Seedsavers, and my favorite eBay heirloom sellers. They didn't have the seeds I wanted.

To my relief, Seeds of Change is NOT controlled by Monsanto - that greedygeneticmodifiedconglomerateevilcompany that I'm always talking about.

But surprisingly, here's a list of the SEED COMPANIES that ARE owned by Monsanto.

I plan to double-check before I order from a new seed company again.

* Territorial Seeds
* Totally Tomato
* Vermont Bean Seed Co.
* Burpee
* Cook's Garden
* Johnny's Seeds
* Earl May Seed
* Gardens Alive
* Lindenberg Seeds
* Mountain Valley Seed
* Park Seed
* T&T Seeds
* Tomato Growers Supply
* Willhite Seed Co.
* Nichol's
* Rupp
* Osborne
* Snow
* Stokes
* Jungs
* R.H. Shumway
* The Vermont Bean Seed Company
* Seeds for the World
* Seymour's Selected Seeds
* HPS
* Roots and Rhizomes
* McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers
* Spring Hill Nurseries
* Breck's Bulbs
* Audubon Workshop
* Flower of the Month Club
* Wayside Gardens
* Park Bulbs
* Park's Countryside Garden

Now, I haven't had a chance to verify each and every one, so if you find a company, that's listed here, and they really aren't in the claws of Monsanto, please drop me a line so I can edit.

Thanks for the heads-up, Melanie! I learned something today ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the boots on the book and that planter is so neat... I'm considering replacing my kitchen window with one of those herb windows.
I sure didn't know Burpee and Stokes were owned by 'M'.. I've bought a lot of seeds from them in the past.
I now have lettuce growing in the house and the onions are really getting tall.
It won't be long before spring planting and I'm ready for it.

Daisy said...

You got some good finds! That's a perfect pot for your basil.

Patty said...

Our local library has that gardening book; you luck duck!

Anonymous said...

I never made that carrot souffle when you were a kid.. it's a fairly new thing that's being served in restaurants.. I spent a long time searching for the recipe but it's now starting to appear on the net. It's well worth making and other then the sugar it has to be healthy for you.