Sunday, January 18, 2009

Early garden

The temps fluctuate around here too much for me to wait for "Spring" to do my gardening.


I've been keeping a close eye on my greenhouse during cool weather. On days when it's freezing outdoors, the planters inside feel warm to the touch.

This has boosted me to plant now.

Today, Pamela and I planted organic:

Serrano Peppers
Carrots
Heirloom Black Zucchini
Heirloom Brandywine Red Tomatoes
Lettuce
Marigolds
Green Bell Pepper
Stevia

Last Sunday, I planted my herb garden indoors by my kitchen. So far, the Sweet Basil has sprouted. The rest of the herbs take up to 2.5 weeks for germination, so I'm still waiting.

I'll be thinning the radishes later for companion plants to my beans, cucumbers, peas and lettuce.
Flowers are continually blooming. When the weather's warm, I keep the door open to allow the bees entrance.


The garlic I'd picked up from Whole Foods has sprouted. Hoping to get red potatoes next time.

5 comments:

cattitude said...

That was fun!!!

Patty said...

How funny, after church we went to Sam’s and I bought a large bag of miracle grow potting soil so I can begin my seeds too.

Anonymous said...

It's not too early for your area.. I'll be starting our seeds indoors in about a month.
I'm glad your green house is working out for you. If we had one we'd have to have some kind of heat in it.. don't think anything could stay warm with below zero temps at night.

Daisy said...

Oh I love your greenhouse!! Look at all the goodies coming up!

Tiff said...

Wow looking good already! :)