Thursday, April 28, 2011

Left by the Birds...

What a pleasant surprise to find a wild Mulberry tree growing in my backyard. I've seen the tree thrive from a young sprout, to a towering giant, never noticing the yummy berries it produced. It was while I was walking in my backyard that I did a double-take, mistaking a branch for wild blackberries. But blackberries don't grow on trees....


Sure enough, it's Mulberry! Must had been brought over by bird droppings. Just like I'm finding pecan's growing in my flower pots, more than likely from the squirrels. We don't have any pecan trees in our yard.


Now that we have Mulberry, we'll see if the silkworms show up. Another project in itself.




Here we go 'round the mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush, the mulberry bush.
Here we go 'round the mulberry bush,
So early in the morning.


Did you know this song originated in England? Many claim it was the Wakefield Prisoners, who would sing this as they circled the Mulberry tree on the prison ground.


It's amazing what will grow in one's yard if a certain area is left for the birds.

2 comments:

Patty said...

We have a giant Mullberry tree that produces many, many berries. However, they do not make very good jelly so I never know what to do with them.
Elizabeth likes to eat them each year and usually goes out several times a day to collect a few for snacks.
I haven't checked lately to see if they are ripe; I guess I need to go see.

Vicki @ Grams Made It said...

My kids used to love to eat the mulberries off the tree that was in my mother's yard. They would come in with mulberry stains on their hands, faces and clothes. Good memories.