Sunday, March 1, 2009

Green Austin EXPO


Today was the last day of the GREEN EXPO held at the Austin Convention Center.
Standing outside the Convention Center, we spotted the delivery car (with banana on top) that delivers organic groceries to your doorstep. How many of you remember the milkman?



Austin's new hybrid bus system.
I mainly went to the expo today to hear the workshop on URBAN BACKYARD CHICKEN COOPS. For those of us who live in the Austin area, 3 or more chickens have to be cooped at least 50 yards from the neighbor's house.


And if you're REALLY interested in backyard chickens (in the city) check out Callahan's General Store - off of Bastrop Highway. They sell baby chickens and ducks. If you don't want to wait the 4-5 months to grow your laying hens from chicks, you can buy full grown laying hens at the general store too.


We stood in line for free burgers and cokes...
They were White Castle sized, but gave us an idea on how delicious these burgers are!
This is Austin's newest ORGANIC fast food joint. Pure beef, no hormones or any junk. Burgers, fries, and milkshakes without the guilt!


The natural soaps looked almost good enough to eat.

We scored some free water bottles.

The expo was a lot of fun, but we ran out of time. I did manage to look at some landscape ideas, raised beds, compost and worm farms. It was definitely worth the trip.

9 comments:

cattitude said...

That was fun

Ann said...

If you don't want to go to town to buy your chickens, you can have them mailed to you!! Who would have thought, but we have a hatchery in Lebanon that mails literally THOUSANDS of baby chicks, ducks and other fowl every Monday and Wednesday during the hatching season. Today is my first day to handle them all alone..wish me luck! I'll try to remember to take my camera and take a picture.

Patty said...

How exciting! Put Callahan's on our list of places to visit!!!

Helen Ruth said...

Ann, yes, I heard (from Patty) you can buy these chickens in the mail... isn't that amazing. I never thought about the job of the postal worker though. You guys must see a lot of crazy stuff.

Patty,
I will for sure put CALLAHANS on our TO-DO list!

Anonymous said...

Mail order chicks has been available for years.. my mom ordered hundreds of them every year. In fact that was how I was planning on buying some.. I didn't know Lebanon had them so I'm going to go ask Ann to send me the address or phone number.
BTW I really enjoyed your blog.. makes me wish I was there with you.

Sheila said...

Sounds like you had fun. The burgers looked tasty, I'm hungry now. :-)

Sheila said...

By the way...No, I never got caught pouring the soup down the vent. Bad Girl!!!

Daisy said...

I have to agree, the burgers look yummy! I wish we had that kind of fast food place around here!!!

Tiff said...

Wow what a fun day! :)