Saturday, November 22, 2008

Small town...

Today, we scoped out Red Rock, Texas, as this is where I'll be taking my combat medical classes in December. I'll be driving 12o miles round trip each day. I'm glad we made this trip, as it's a SMALL town. Don't blink, or you'll miss it. I LOVED the old general store. I sure do miss those old mom and pop stores! This store is more than a hundred years old, the old town of Red Rock was settled in the 1700's.





Less than 15 miles from Lockhart, we couldn't help but take advantage again of the Texas Barbecue belt...

For lunch, we stopped at Kruez Market for barbecue.
Meat is ordered in the smoke room.

No plates. Here in the barbecue belt, meals are served on paper. The brisket and beans were incredible. Ssssshhh... although I enjoyed the food here, the customer service at Black's Barbecue is much better (the owner made a point of introducing himself and shaking our hands.)
At Kruez Market, they don't take credit/debit cards. CASH ONLY. Major inconvenience. Their cash machine charges $1.75 for transactions. Ouch.

10 comments:

Daisy said...

Now this is the kind of place I bet my dh would love to eat at! This was a neat post, I liked looking at all the pictures.

Anonymous said...

That store made me miss shopping at Barbers Cash store down at the farm.. you can find so many neat things at those places.

Did you save me a bite of that BBQ?

Patty said...

I just love looking around at old time stores; it's so much fun looking at the buildings and thinking about how it looked when the building was new.

P.S. I'm hungry!!!

Siggie said...

Just stumbled on here and wanted to tell you I enjoyed reading your blog. I used to live in Austin and Fredericksburg..reading your blog brings back great memories. I miss the weather in Texas and the bbq! My dad used to work in a bbq place in Fredericksburg, that was really good stuff! I'll be back.
Greetings from Germany

Anonymous said...

Did you have fun?

P.S. we need to get together
some time.

your best friend Molly.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, what an awesome restaurant!!!!!

What is the combat medical classes?

Helen Ruth said...

Here's the link to the classes I'm taking:

http://www.medicalcorps.org/texas-081208.htm

Rhonda said...

Yummy! That BBQ looks so good. Take care and have a great Thanksgiving!

Tiff said...

I love old general store to...we find allot of those up in the mountains around this way...love the pics...and from your other post..I to have noticed fabric going up...okay so I cannot sew...but my mother can, and we went looking in Wal-Mart when she was visiting and noticed the prices have gone up...

Rhonda said...

The frog pattern is for quilts. Sorry to leave this on your comment page but there was no way to contact you otherwise. Your reply has not been activated. If you need more into about the frog thingy, give me a holler! Have a great Thanksgiving.