Wednesday, October 22, 2014

MEAT AND POTATO CASSEROLE - Using Emergency Food Storage


This dish has always been a family favorite. Even better, it's so simple to fix!


PICTURED are ingredients that you can store LONG TERM in your pantry for emergencies.
 
THIS RECIPE calls for meat, and you can use either ground beef, canned chicken, tuna, or even leftover turkey.
 
 FOR POTATOES, if you don't have fresh from your garden, you can use dehydrated potatoes.
 
 
For this meal, I'm using only 4 ingredients from my emergency food storage.
 
Dehydrated Potatoes
Family Size can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
Canned Ground Beef
Dehydrated Peas
 
 
First, get the dehydrated potatoes soaking in a bowl of water for about 20-30 minutes, and afterwards drain.  If you're new to dehydrated potatoes, and thinking about buying some, here's a link to an article of mine where I give a review for ----- Augason Farms Dehydrated Potatoes - which I'm using in this recipe.
 
OR if you're using fresh potatoes, then slice them thin about 1/4 inch thick.
 
 
Oil your pan GENEROUSLY using cooking oil, or shortening. You don't want those potatoes to stick.  
 
 
 Take half of the potatoes and line the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
 
 
 
Here I've added the Cream of Mushroom Soup (you can make homemade if you prefer) but I like to keep some canned around for emergencies.
 
I had rehydrated the peas in advance (like the potatoes) and adding these.
 
Since my canned ground beef is precooked, I've just drained and added. Same as you would do if you were adding canned chicken or tuna.
 
MIX ALL TOGETHER.
 



 Spread evenly and carefully over the bed of potatoes.
 
ADD THE FINAL BATCH of potatoes to the top, completely covering the mix. Salt/pepper.  
 
BAKE (350-400) until potatoes on top brown.
 
 

SERVE with beans on the side or a fresh salad from your garden.
 
Or eat by itself. It's very filling!
 
 
 I fixed this meal tonight using our food stash and my husband gushed that it was the best meal he'd had all week!  
 
Like I said, it's a family favorite ;)

If you give this recipe a try, feel free to drop me a line and let me know what you think!








No comments: