Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Malabar Spinach

Malabar - an excellent source of calcium and iron; good source of vitamins A, B, and C, with a high roughage value.

I got my Malabar seeds today from eBay. I planted 4 seedlings and sent my mother 10. This is a decorative and edible spinach plant that grows to a height of 8' to 10' and blooms summer to fall.



Plant in sun, and preferably next to a trellis. Germination takes 10 - 15 days.



Today, I also picked up two containers of Horsetail.



Long ago, the Horsetail (Scouring Rush) was food for dinosaurs. Pioneers used to grab fistfulls of horsetail (which grew in abundance near the streams) to clean and scrub their cooking utensils.

I purchased two plants - one for indoors and another for a decorative pot on the porch. Beware, they tend to take over a garden as they have an underground fleshy stem called rhizomes. What attracted me to these plants is that they look like miniature bamboo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm looks like I can be expecting some spinach seeds soon ;)
Thanks..
Time to get my containers ready for them.