Friday, April 11, 2008

Beef Enchilada Casserole

Beef Enchilada Casserole with Beef Taquitos



Here's a recipe the boys asked for. This is something I made up (trying to go by memory on my mother's famous enchilada's) A fast and easy casserole to toss together, served with your favorite taquitos and refried beans!

Beef Enchilada Casserole

You need:

Ground beef
Onions
Green onions
Corn Tortillas
Grated Cheese
1 can of Rotel
1 12oz can of tomato paste
1 packet of McCormick Enchilada spice


Chop onions and add to ground beef/cook and drain.

Heat together 1 can of undrained Rotel, 1 can of tomato paste, add water (I use the empty tomato paste can to measure two full cans of water), add enchilada spice packet and heat sauce in pan.

Grease bottom of casserole dish, add a thin layer of enchilada sauce and layer bottom with corn tortillas. (I usually use 3 tortillas for each layer, as two will reach both sides and 1 tortilla torn in half will cover the sides missed.)

Add another light layer of sauce, then add some ground beef, grated cheese, and layer again with tortillas, repeating process until you reach to top of casserole dish. The final layer add remaining sauce, grated cheese and top with chopped green onions.

Heat at 350 for about 30 - 40 minutes.

Serve with your favorite taquitos and refried beans.

*** Most of my recipes are not broken down into exact science/measurements. I feel every cook should add more or less according to their own tastes and preferences. This recipe gives you a general idea on creating this casserole, with the option to substitute chicken for beef, adding less cheese or more onions, etc.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Close to mine but not quite.. I didn't add Rotel tomatoes.. they didn't sell them back in the 70's so I used spiced up tomato sauce.. other wise it's just about the same thing and is a lot easier to make then rolling them up.

Anonymous said...

This casserole rocks. I ate way too much when she made this! I recommend it to anyone. I am even going to make it and possibly put a DR. Nate twist on it.