Wednesday, October 23, 2019

FLAXSEED EGG SUBSTITUTE - Mom's Pioneer Living Handbook

                                       Mentioned in, Mom's Pioneer Living Handbook 

 The main reason I'm interested in Flaxseed is due to HOW EASY and CONVENIENT it is as an egg replacement for my emergency food supplies.

The important properties that this seed brings to the table are the mucilage gel that resembles egg whites. Not to mention, the health benefits.


1 tablespoon of Flaxseed + 3 tablespoons of water = 1 egg


Ground flaxseed with a mortar and pestle. 
After added water, it sits and thickens within 15-30 min. 

For a long shelf life, purchase these seeds raw in whole form. The oil from pre-ground seeds will go rancid if left in storage. 

BEST IF USED BY expiration date on my recently purchased bag of Bob's Red Mill brand, is 2 years from today. Once bag is opened, I would store the seeds in an airtight mason jar and these handy little seeds will keep us going for a long long time. 




I tried the flaxseed substitute on my homemade corn tortillas recipe, and I must confess, they tasted better than real eggs.  In fact, I doubt I will ever use eggs again for these tortillas. 




This website had a lot of good information on using Flaxseed. 
Especially good to know in case you're planning to substitute for cakes, etc. 

No comments: