Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hershey's Chocolate Cake

Today I made a Hershey's chocolate cake from scratch. It's been a while, so I was very surprised to see how much sugar goes into a cake. (2 cups sugar for cake/3 cups powdered sugar for icing.)

I also pondered on whether it was actually cheaper. I used a lot of ingredients in comparison to paying a buck at the store for a box of Betty Crocker cake mix.

I normally pay around $2.50 for store bought cake mix/icing. Yet when I figure in the costs of baking from scratch -- flour, sugars, eggs, milk, I wonder if I did save money? Anyone want to do the math on this?


The next cake I'll reduce the sugar by 1 cup and substitute with real butter instead of using oil.


The bundt cake when frosted looks like one giant chocolate donut.

Of course, serve with a glass of cold milk!

HERSHEY'S CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 cups sugar
1- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup Hershey Cocoa
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1- ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven 350 degrees – Grease and flour two 9-inch baking pans or bundt pan.
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl, add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into pans.

Bake 30-35 min. or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool 10 min.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1 stick butter or margarine
2/3 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter, stir in cocoa – adding powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spread consistency. Add more milk if needed. Stir in vanilla. Approx 2 cups of frosting.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn you.. I'm craving chocolate and you go and put this delicious cake up for me to drool over.. guess I'll have to go bake some brownies.
Actually I think it comes out about the same if you buy the mix or you make it from scratch because you still have to add eggs and oil to the mixes. The mixes just seem easier to me... after all is said and done taste is the most important part and I bet your cake is better then any box stuff.

Anonymous said...

You're right, I forgot that eggs are added separately to boxed mixes, and even oil too.

So I guess they DO break even on costs.

Patty said...

Oh my, I need some cake. I have everything to make one but running the oven doesn't sound appealing, it's too hot.