Friday, September 24, 2010

Garden Fresh

Not only has the cooler weather given my garden a boost, but since the temperatures have dropped to the 80's, I've had to do less watering!


They say we should save our seeds from the first batch of crops, but as my beans have become more energized, I'm allowing several "late season" beans to dry on the vine to save for later.




All my Kentucky Pole beans have been producing. I'm not picking "bucket fulls" a day, but I'm able to save enough to have the occasional stiry fry!
My favorite dish is to add olive oil to the wok, cubed beef with worcestershire sauce, and minced garlic. After meat is med well, I add whatever is available from my garden - squash, bell peppers, green beans, peas, onions, okra, and frozen vegetables from the grocery store - broccoli, and zucchini. Toss till heated, then serve with rice and soy sauce.

5 comments:

Patty said...

Pat's aunt used to grow those white squash all the time.

My garden is a dried up weed patch but the other day I spotted two watermelons. One was given to the chickens because a bug had turned it into it's home and the melon was rotten inside. The second melon isn't ripe just yet but I am hoping we will be able to eat it.

We still have carrots and onions but it's hard to reach them through all the weeds.

The WoodLand School said...

Hooray for cooler weather and your awesome garden!

Helen Ruth said...

Those are called, Patty Squash, Patty.

Jenn Sharp said...

Wow! The pictures look amazing! Wish we could grow plants like that in Canada during the winter :)

Helen Ruth said...

Right now, I'll take those open wide spaces in Canada over the veggies, Jenn! :)